The Focused Ion Beam Dual Beam Microscope is a scanning microscope with very high-resolution topographical imaging and etching capabilities. The Helios NanoLabTM 650 features FEI’s most recent advances in field emission SEM (FESEM) and focused ion beam (FIB) technologies and their combined use. It is designed to access a new world of extreme high resolution (XHR) 2D and 3D characterization, nanoprototyping, and higher quality sample preparation.
When publishing work with data collected from the dbFIB, the following should be used for acknowledgment:
“This work made use of University of Utah USTAR shared facilities support, in part, by the MRSEC Program of NSF under Award No. DMR-1121252.”
Imaging and Analytical Modes
- High Vacuum, high resolution imaging
- Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS)
- Crystal Orientation Imaging Microscopy via EBSD
- Secondary Ion Imaging
Typical Uses and Applications
- High-resolution imaging ~10 nm resolution for conductive materials can be achieved with the use of the Elstar column
- Elemental contrast using backscatter electron imaging
- Low voltage imaging for fragile samples
- Elemental mapping and semi-quantitative compositional analysis using energy dispersive spectroscopy (EDS)
- Automated particle morphology and elemental analysis using EDS
- Grain analysis (grain size, orientation and texture) using electron backscatter diffraction (EBSD)
- High throughput milling assisted by high ion current ~65nA for creating nanoscale patterns
- Milling and liftouts for TEM sample preparation
- Slice-and-View: Helios can incrementally image then cut 10 nm slices into the face of a 5 μm X 5 μm area, then rebuilding the images into a tomographic volume
- Deposit Pt in pre-defined patterns down to ~35 nm line widths.
- Mill patterns using the FIB as a precision scalpel
- Create precision cross sections for in-situ viewing
|HOURLY RATES||CONTACT US FOR RESERVATIONS:|
|On Campus Users:||$65.00||Dr. Randy Polson|
|Off Campus Academic Users||$99.00||Lab: 801-587-3108|
|Industry Rate||$130.00||Office: 801-587-0873|
|Industry Expedite Rate||$390.00|
Jackson, M.D.; Couper, S.; Stan, C.V.; Ivarsson, M.; Czabaj, M.W.; Tamura, N.; Parkinson, D.; Miyagi, L.M.; Moore, J.G.
Authigenic Mineral Texture in Submarine 1979 Basalt Drill Core, Surtsey Volcano, Iceland
Geochem. Geophys. 2019, 20, 3751 – 3773
Plumb, J.C.; Lind, J.F.; Tucker, J.C.; Kelley, R.; Spear, A.D.
Three-Dimensional Grain Mapping of Open-Cell Metallic Foam by Integrating Synthetic Data with Experimental Data from High-Energy X-ray
Mater. Charact. 2018, 144, 448-460.